The event of Wadi El Hitan World Heritage Site
Event will take place on the 19th of May 2014
Within the framework of the collaboration between the Ministry of State for Environmental Affairs (MSEA) and the Italian Government through the Egyptian Italian Environmental Cooperation Programme (EIECP) in cooperation with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) will organize an event to celebrate setting the foundation stone of Wadi El Hitan the Indoor Fossil and Climate Change Museum at Wadi El Hitan World Heritage site, Wadi El Rayan Protected Areas, Fayoum Governorate.
This museum project comes within the framework of the collaboration between the Ministry of State for Environmental Affairs (MSEA) and the Italian Government through the Egyptian Italian Environmental Cooperation Programme (EIECP) in cooperation with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
The event will be organized as part of the planned activities of the EIECP/UNDP project “Support to the Egyptian Protected Areas (SEPA)”. More than 60 participants will attend the event, representing the Ministry of State for Environmental Affairs (MSEA), Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency (EEAA), Ministry of Tourism, Governorate of Fayoum, Italian Embassy, EIECP, in addition to universities and research centers, representatives of the private sector, NGOs and the local community of Fayoum.
Nature Conservation Sector is playing a vital role in implementing all projects in undertaken in partnership with the Egyptian Italian Environmental Cooperation Programme (EIECP) achieving major successes such as: a) declaring Wadi El-Hitan area as the first UNESCO World Natural Heritage site in Egypt in 2005. Wadi El Hitan is recognized as the best managed World Heritage Site (WHS) in the world recently;
- b) establishing visitor information centers in Wadi El-Rayan, Siwa and White Desert Protected Areas; c) maintaining tracks within the same Protected Areas; d) implementing initiatives with local NGOs to improve the livelihood of local communities in White Desert PA, e) developing management plans for Wadi El Rayan, Qaroun Lake, White Desert and Elba Protected Areas. Furthermore, to conducting management effectiveness evaluation for Wadi El Rayan, Qaroun Lake, Ras Mohamed and St Katherine Protected areas. Ultimately, NCS has built capacities for Protected Areas staff for better management of Egypt natural and cultural heritage.
The agenda of the event will include official opening of the green buildings of Wadi El Hitan, where Solar Panels facilities are installed, a tour in the open Air Museum, and setting the foundation stone of Wadi El Hitan Indoor Fossil and Climate Change Museum.
The above facilities are the result of EIECP at Wadi El Rayan Protected Areas that were implemented on two phases since 2008 which will be extended to a third phase by next year 2015.
The event will include speeches as follows:
- Mohamed Talaat, NCS Director
- Anita Nirody, UNDP Resident Representative
- E. Amb. Maurizio Massari, Ambassador of Italy
- Amr El Sammak, EEAA, CEO
- Hazem Ateyat Allah, Governor of Fayoum
- E. Dr. Layla Iskander, Minister of State for Environmental Affairs
At the end; a presentation will be given of the past and future interventions in Wadi El Hitan.
For more information, please contact:
- Yousria Hamed, SEPA Project Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org